Hetta-Pallas hiking route takes you through forests and fells, boasting the best views of Lapland on an easy walkable terrain. We call it Best of Lapland as you hike through old forests, open tundra and magical little mountains all at one go.
Tighten the laces of your hiking boots, this is the classic hiking adventure you don’t want to miss! The trek, Hetta-Pallas, is the oldest hiking route in Finnish Lapland. The 55 km path from Hetta to Pallas is situated in western Finnish Lapland and takes you through the Pallas-Yllästunturi National Park with stunning views, following the line of beautiful and ancient round fells that once were mighty high mountains. Walking along the old path you see nothing but forest, marshland and lakes as far as eye can reach.
The adventure begins by spending a night in accommodation near Ylläs. Next morning there is 2-hours drive to Hetta. We start by a boat ride across a lake, to the northern edge of the Pallas-Yllästunturi National Park. During five days of trekking, we walk up and down fells, from open arctic tops down to magical old forest valleys. We sleep four nights in tents and drink from free-flowing crystal clear and clean streams. On the last hiking day we ascent to the highest peak of the mountain range, Taivaskero, 809 meters above sea level. Admire the view and breathe in the cleanest air in the world! After the hike we spend the final night in accomodation where you can relax.
The route is 55 km in length and takes 4-5 days to hike. We like to take it easy and leave time to enjoy the atmosphere so we take 5 days. On this hike we follow a path and the terrain is pretty easy to walk, although we go up and down in altitude.
Our local guide takes care of you from start to finish. Temperature of Finnish summer can be anything from 0 degrees of Celsius to +30 C. Weather can change in a split seconds so be prepared for anything. This of course makes the experience even more interesting!
- Day 1. Arriving in Ylläs to accommodation.
- Day 2. Drive to Hetta, Enontekiö. The boat will take us across lake Ounasjärvi to the starting point. Hiking around 5 km-7 km through old pine forest and camping at Pyhäkero. The first day is mostly about getting used to the weight of the backpack and gear.
- Day 3. Hiking 10 km-12 km up on open tundra. Sleeping in tents at Tappuri or Sioskuru camping places.
- Day 4. Hiking 9 km-15 km down to mountain birch area of Hannukuru.
- Day 5. Hiking 9 km-15 km up to the mountain again, camping at Nammalakuru.
- Day 6. Hiking 7 km-10 km. We finish our trip to Pallastunturi visitor centre. You’re not going to want to leave though! One hour drive back to accommodation in Ylläs.
- Day 7. The end of the trip.
June to October. The midnight sun shines from June to July. The autumn colours are at their best in September.
- Transportation from Ylläs accomodation.
- Tent (2 persons/tent), sleeping bag, mattress, cooking set
- All meals (breakfast, lunch, dinner)
- Specialist local wilderness guide
- Epic experience in pure nature of Lapland
- Accomodation before and after hiking
Good physical condition is required for this adventure. Hikers carry their own backpacks and shared gear like food, tent etc. Own travel insurance is a must.
What do I need to bring?
Own backpack and comfortable hiking boots, suitable clothing. We will send you a specific gear list after booking.
How to get there?
Pihka Outdoors is situated in Ylläs, Lapland, Finland. The local villages are Ylläsjärvi and Äkäslompolo. The nearest airport is Kittilä, only 35 km away. The nearest train station is Kolari, there are night trains from Helsinki. We can pick you up from the airport or train station. Ask for more info about logistics, we’ll be happy to help.
1850 EUR / person (max 8 persons)
Midsummer Hike: 17.6.-22.6.2023.
End of Summer Magic: 19.-24.8.2023
You can also contact us for private departure for your own group.